Charities and Institutions circa 1884

Monday, 14 November, 2016
Share This:

Meath Hospital ,Dublin Infirmary, Coombe Hospital, Meath Convalescent Home, Meath Street Relief, Infant School, Meath Street Dispensary, First Sunday School, Meath Charitable Loan, Free Day School

Historical summaries from The Charities of Dublin, concerning St. Catherine's district. The contents of the book itself in whole is quite lengthy, herein extracted from the original compiler editor and author R.M. Barrett 1884. See details below.

[   ] Brackets have been inserted for the page herein to cover digital conversion flaws by Google Books.

We beleive the old book is now in the public domain. Please inform us of any further information.

extracted quote follows:


16. Meath Hospital and County Dublin Infirmary,

Heytesbury Street, Dublin.

Founded [about?] 1753. Unaedarian, [Unitarian? or Unsectarian?] This hospital was originally in
Meath Street, and was then moved to the Coombe ; it was designed for
the relief of poor manufacturers in the Earl of Meath's Liberty.
County Dublin having been omitted when the various County In-
firmaries were established in Ireland, the proprietors of this hospital
offered it for the purpose, and it was so constituted by Act of Par-
liament in 1 774, its benefits being thus extended beyond the Liberties
to the County. This was carried out chiefly through the liberality
of Mr. T. Pleasants, who gave X6,000 to the hospital in 18U. After
various removals, the present building was opened in 1822, but has
been much enlaiged and improved sinee.

Management [unreadable] Ez-officio and life Governors. Standing Com-
mittee elected annually.

Physicians : Drs. Foot and Moore.

Surgeons : Sir G. H. Porter, Drs. Wharton, P. C. Smyly, Mac-
Namara, L. Ormsby, and Hepburn.
Besident Surgeon : Dr. F. T. NewelL
* Secretary : F. Penrose, at the hospital.
Lady Superintendent : Miss Ellinor Lyons.
The visiting Physicians and Surgeons attend gratuitously.

BTumber. [unreadable] 102 beds ; average number occupied, 74 ; during the
year, 1,157 in-patients were treated ; average length of stay, 23 days ;
mortality, 6 per cent; average cost per bed, X49. 6,468 out-patients,
and 2,542 accidents treated during the year.


[Coombe?] mbboeb's hospital. 11

[Coombe?] Tnoome. [unreadable] Averages about ᆪ4,000. In the year ending March
1883, it was 5,402, as stock was sold to meet heavy extra expenses
of new wards, etc.

The County Grand Jury, Parliamentary, and Sunday Hospital
Fund grants of ᆪ1,947 ; donations, interest on property, and be-
quests, form the chief sources of Income. Debt of ᆪ727.

Donors of ᆪ21, or subscribers of ᆪ2, are Governors.

Convalescent Home, Income of ᆪ271. No debt.

Children's Ward, receipts, ᆪ213.

Rules of Admission. [unreadable] Subscribers of ᆪ1 or more may recommend
patients, who are admitted from all parts of Ireland. Forms of
application at the hospital ; they should be presented between 9
and 10 a. m. Accidents admitted day or night without recommenda-
tion. The doctors may admit dispensary cases, if desirable, for
hospital treatment.

Object and farther partionlars. [unreadable] In 1874 the New Building, or
detached epidemic ward, was erected at a cost of ᆪ1,000.

The Smyly Ward, for 10 children, was opened in 1865, as a
memorial to Dr. Smyly.

The Meath Convalescent Home was opened in 1882 -, Lord and
Lady Brabazon having given a furnished house at Bray, capable of
holding eight patients, for this purpose ; it is supported by special
donations. (See Convalescent Home.) Two observation wards have
recently been erected in the hospital for the reception of cases where
the illness is doubtful, and there is now a separate chamber where
out-going patients will bathe and dress before leaving, to prevent
the spread of infection. Nurses' and servants' dormitories, detached
from the main building, have now been fitted up and a disinfecting
chamber built. Trained nurses may be hired by private pati^its.

Visiting Bays. [unreadable] Tuesday and Friday 12 to 1 a.m.

Oispensary. [unreadable] Open to all every week day, from 8.30 to 10 a.m.


All inforriiatian from and donations payable to persons whose name
are prefixed with an asterisk. As a [unreadable]nde, the figures rdate to
the years 1882 to 1883, [unreadable]/ew? Reports for 1883 being ready.

Dispensaries were begun in London in 1687 by the College of
Physicians, amid so much opposition that the physicians had not
only to attend the dispensaries themselves gratuitously, but to
subscribe money to buy the necessary medicines.

Medical advice and medicine is given gratuitously to the poor,
who bring a letter of recommendation; the latter is not necessary in
accident casea If confined to the house, they are visited in their
own homes by the medical ofl&cer.


[unknwon institution]

92 Meath Steeet, Dublin.

Kanagement [unreadable] Committee.

Regtstrar: H. C. Allen.

* Matron: Mrs. Shaw.

Applicants must have a recommendation from a hospital official
or from a subscriber, on receipt of which they are visited in their own
homes, and help given if necessary. 12,234 persons were relieved
during the year.

The object is to strengthen by good food poor patients discharged
&om hospital Relief is given in food, bedding, [unreadable]. Income in
1882 of ᆪ403 from donations, interest, etc. No debt.


Infant School,

29 Meath Street, Dublin.

Founded [unreadable] 1827. Unsectarian.

Management. [unreadable] By a Committee of Ladies, mostly members of
the Society of Friends.

Number. [unreadable] 100 on the roll; the attendance ranges from 50 to 70.

Income. [unreadable] In 1883, ᆪ250, of which ᆪ170 was from donations.

Further Particulars.  [unreadable] Any children under 12 are admitted free.
The teaching is very elementary ; nothing controversial is taught,
but a simple Bible lesson is given every day. The children receive
bread for lunch.

t The infoimation under this heading does not pretend to be complete, but it
is hoped it is not inaccurate.


[Meath Street Dispendary]

The first dispensary in Dublin was opened in 1782 in Cole's-lane ;
the Dublin General Dispensary in Temple Bar was opened in 1785;
the Meath Street one in 1794.


[First Sunday School in Ireland]

I have not mentioned any Sunday Schools of the present day,
since the instruction given in them now is not secular. There are
many large and important ones, as the Strand Street Schools, the
Mill Street Bagged Schools, the Townsend Street Schools, and others.

The first Sunday School in Ireland was opened in 1786, in a
house in the Liberties given by the Earl of Meath for that purpose.
It was unsectarian, and besides reading of the Bible, instruction
was given in reading, writing, and arithmetic ; for secular instruction
was very generally given in Sunday schools, both in England and
Ireland up to comparatively recent times. As the numbers in-
creased the Dublin Free School House was built in School Street,
St. Catherine's Parish, and the school was opened on week days
also, with over 800 scholars, while 600 were in the Sunday school.

Several other schools were opened at the beginning of this
century, some of which are still in existence, others, such as the
School for Young Sweeps, the School for French Refugees, etc.,
have no longer a raison d[unreadable]etre. The wonderful progress made during
this century and the satisfactory results already attained (see pp. 31,
34, and 48 especially) show what can be done in the prevention of
crime by early training.


[Meath Charitable Loan (St.Catherines Dublin)]

6. Meath Loan.

This charity originated in 1808. Special collections had been
made to relieve distress in the Liberties ; as a balance of ᆪ1,200 was
left, it was applied to form a Meath charitable loan fund. Many
hundreds have received loans from it.

[see seperate article page here at Ireland Reaching Out regards the Meath Chartitable Loan Offices in St.Catherine's district]


[St.Catherine Free Day School]

St. Catherine's has a free day school and some boarders selected by the Governors.

[no further information]


end quotes extracted from the book:

[text corrupted by digitalization]

DUBLIN CHARITIES. PART I . HOSPITALS, CONVALESCENT HOMES, DISPENSARIES, AND HOMES FOR THE AFFLICTED.

DUBLIN: HODGES, FIGGIS? k CO., 104 GRAFTON STREET.

B. D. WEBB AND SON, PRINTERS, ABBEY STREET, DUBLIN.

[published?] March 1884. by R_M_ Barrett


Digitized by Google Books (date unknown)

We beleive the old book is now in the public domain. Please inform us of any further information.