Monday, 14 November, 2016
Share This:

Former Meath Charitable Loan Society Office 1832 1862 was located adjacent to St.Catherine's Church of Ireland, and near the corner of Thomas Street and Thomas Court.

It was an innovator in banking practices, being the first to provide loans to Minors and married Women. The life span of the company, history, and expansion to possibly eighteen offices is under investigation, and your input or expertise is welcome. William Singleton was the secretary. It was thriving in 1862 with W.J.Robinson accountant. Loans were provided at 51 Thomas Court Street in 1832. Aurthur Guiness and Arthur Lee Guiness were on the commitee of managers.

The Victor of St.Catherine's at the time, the Rev.J.D. Hastings AB, was Registrar. Edward Singleton was messenger. The Earl of Meath was President, and the John D(David?) La Touche banking firm were the treasurers. an office was at 37 Thomas Court in 1862 (we are seeking perhaps more former city directories for additional and further details) According to the book, The History, Principles And Practice Of Banking, by J. W. Gilbart : The Meath Charitable Loan Society was established in 1807. The committee of managers lent sums, not under five, and not exceeding twenty pounds, free of interest, to be repaid by weekly instalments. The founder, from county Leitrim, was instrumental in establishing the trust, which additionaly supported the poor and their free education through many of the fund's parallel activities. While stationed at St.Catherine's, the Rev. James Whitelaw was an Irish historian, writer, statistician and philanthropist, who appeared in the National Dictionary of Ireland, and founder of the Dublin cenus.

http://www.archive.org/stream/dictionaryofnati61stepuoft/dictionaryofnat...

He initiated an every house census of Dublin in1798, and wrote an important history of the city .He was also a founder of the Erasmus Smith Schools, one of the first National Charter Schools to teach courses in Gaelic, and in that manner provided students English as a Second Language. We are Seeking History of the firm, deed trail of the buildings, and staus of preservation, etc. If any one knows anything more about the operations, particularly in the St Catherines district, clientele, records preserved, or the charities served, we would be glad to hear from you. Apparently there are extensive records in the British Parlimentary Papers regards the groups work with the impoverished and needy throughout Ireland, of vital interest to genealogy and history, due to the lack of records of many poor through that era.

Also, many donors have included the institution in their bequeathments, which can serve as a duplicate source for many Will Administrations that were lost in the Four Courts fires. Information is also sought on the Singleton and Robinson families, employees, tennants, the landlords, owners, or beneficiaries.

Book reference link found here http://www20.us.archive.org/stream/historyprinciple00gilb/historyprincip...