The Dromore West Poor Law Union was officially declared in 1849. The Workhouse was opened in 1852 at a cost of £5,465. It was built to house a maximum capacity of 400 inmates. The Dromore West Workhouse was built to accomodate people from the areas of Aughris, Buncrowey, Castleconor, Dromard, Dromore, Easky, Kilglass, Mullagharuse, Rathmacurkey, Skreen, Templeboy, and Toberpatrick.
The Dromore West Workhouse was burned by Republican forces to prevent it from being utilised by the Black and Tans.
The Workhouse site was later used for residential purposes.
The Dromore West Workhouse site is currently in the posession of two artists who are working to restore the original buildings.
References
For more information see here | Ireland | VIEW SOURCE | |
County Sligo Archives | Ireland | VIEW SOURCE |
Type of Building:
Workhouse