Ightermurragh Castle, Ladysbridge Co Cork was built by Edmund Supple in 1641. It was a 5-story Castle. Rebellion came and it was looted and burnt in 1653, in the 19th Century Earl of Shannon owned it. Today it lies in ruins and still retains 6 of its originally 7 chimney stacks.
Edmund and Margaret Supple lived there happily as proclaimed by the Latin inscription “whom love binds as one” over the principal fireplace on the ground floor.
It had a holding of some 620 acres spread over five townlands.
On Saturday 15th July IrelandXO volunteer Philomena Irwin met with the Genereau family whose ancestors came from the area and lived in Ightermurragh Castle. They spent hours exploring the Castle which is down a long boreen with Philomena sharing the history of the site. They also visited the local cemetery where the Supple Tomb is still standing majestically just inside the main entrance to the cemetery. Pictured below is Annabelle Genereau her Son Shawn, his wife Allison and her Mum Sherr.
|Join the Cork Diaspora Community|